Friday, June 27, 2014

Review: The Fault in Our Stars

12970552The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This was one of the funniest saddest books I've ever read. Never really read anything like this before, but proud to say that I could relate, understand, as well as agree, disagree along side these characters. The people in the story were awfully bright, very intelligent. But in real life not many people might ask those questions on a regular basis, maybe only when they!re on the verge on dying or know they are dying. But we all know that we are dying, its just the matter of when.
In my family's medical history, there was traces of breast cancer and was what most of the older woman in my family died from. But some time ago, when I was younger, my older cousin was diagnosed at 13 years of age with a rare type of cancer (I won't go into details but if you want to know then message me) but lived to be 14 then soon after passed away. And she was only 2 yrs. older then me. And this made me think of what am I doing in life, what am I doing for my life, an do I love or hate what I'm doing? I'm now 18 yrs. old, and wondering what could I be doing, what should I be doing, and how am I doing it? Then I wonder what my cousin would be doing, what could she be doing, and would she like it? Was she just like the characters in the story? Was she damning the universe for its unfairness, calling bullshit on people who she thought were someone else, falling in love, egging somebody's car? I don't know. I do know that I laughed with these characters, cried with them, and fell in love with their story.
And like Hazel Grace, I would like to know what happens later on. How long does she last, does Isaac ever stop being so cynical, and get over Monica, truly? What happens to Gus' parents, do they become another statistic in people that divorce after their child dies? Same for Hazel's parents, does her mom become "a Patrick"? Does her dad still cry alot. Does Hazel still think of Gus. Is Gus really watching over her now, or could it be just a metaphor to help us deal with the grief and loss of a loved one? What would Gus have to say for himself? He probably say, "I'm grand, I love you Hazel Grace."


View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment